Vegan Lemon Cake
This vegan lemon cake is one of my favorite cakes for spring and summer. It's super delicious, fluffy, and moist. The secret ingredient is soy yogurt!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 12 servings
For the vegan lemon cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup lemon-flavored soy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 3 teaspoons lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
Grease the bundt pan with vegan margarine and lightly dust with flour. Melt the margarine in a small pot.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon. Pour the dough into the bundt pan and bake for about 40 minutes. Use a toothpick to check if the cake is ready. Leave in the pan for 10 minutes. Then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Meanwhile make the glaze: Combine the powdered sugar, the lemon juice, and the water and stir well. Once the cake has cooled, pour the glaze over the cake and sprinkle with the remaining lemon zest. Enjoy!
- I used lemon and lime-flavored soy yogurt for my vegan lemon cake, which worked perfectly. If you can't get hold of this flavor you could also use plain soy yogurt or coconut yogurt. In this case you could slightly increase the fresh lemon juice and the lemon zest to give the cake a deeper lemon flavor.
- The vegan lemon cake is even better the next day! So don't eat it all at once. I know that's always hard with a cake being around, but in this case it's really worth it.
- To make the lemon cake even moister, I added a little bit of almond flour. I really like the texture and the taste it gives the lemon cake. I've experimented a bit with the almond flour and I ended up replacing about 1/5 of the all-purpose flour with the almond flour. However, you could also leave it out and use 100 % all-purpose flour.
- I’ve had some readers use this vegan lemon cake as a base for other cakes for example chocolate cakes, marble cakes, or berry cakes. I haven’t tried it myself yet, but they told me it worked out great.
- I used a 9 x 4.5 inch bundt pan for my vegan lemon cake with a nonstick coating.
Calories: 281kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 160mg | Potassium: 134mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 8% | Vitamin C: 6% | Calcium: 4% | Iron: 6%