Vegan Pesto with Basil
This vegan pesto with basil is perfect for busy days. It's super easy to make, healthy, and in combination with pasta incredibly delicious. All you need for this vegan pesto is 5 minutes!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (extra virgin)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Place all of the ingredients in a blender of food processor.
Process until rather smooth with a few chunks. It's best to use the pulse function. However, make sure not to process the pesto for too long because otherwise it might become bitter.
- I used a cuisinart food processor for my vegan pesto. I absolutely love it and it's perfect for pesto, dips, and sauces.
- However, you could also use a blender to make this easy vegan pesto. I own a Vitamix and use it almost daily. The only thing is that sometimes the amount of food is to little. So that means it doesn't blend well because the bottom is too wide for the small volume. Either double the pesto (and freeze some for later) or use another container (it works way better with the 32oz container than with the 64oz).
- I love using nutritional yeast for my vegan pesto. It gives it a nutty and "cheesy" taste and is the perfect substitute for Parmesan cheese in a vegan pesto without cheese. Besides, nutritional yeast is super healthy and it's packed with nutrients. You can find it in many supermarkets, health food stores, or online. The vegan pesto will still work without the pesto if you have a hard time finding it, but I really recommend using nutritional yeast.
- It's important to use a high quality olive oil for this pesto. You can really taste the difference. I always use extra virgin olive oil.
- If you want to make it a bit easier for your food processor or blender, you could also roughly chop the basil and the parsley before processing it.
- I like the vegan pesto best with whole wheat spaghetti or brown rice spaghetti and cherry tomatoes. Easy and delicious!
Calories: 221kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 300mg | Potassium: 258mg | Fiber: 2g | Vitamin A: 31.6% | Vitamin C: 26.1% | Calcium: 4.1% | Iron: 11.6%