This vegan southwestern salad with cashew sour cream is not only super delicious but also packed with nutrients!
When I was in New York last September, I had a really good vegan Southwestern Salad at Terri’s, an all vegan restaurant not far from Wall Street. Ever since I wanted to make such a salad at home, but I eventually forgot about it as I had so many other things I wanted to try. When I was looking at the article about our vacation to America (which you can find here) the other day, I came across the salad and instantly decided that this would be our dinner the next day. No sooner said than done!
Unfortunately I didn’t have black beans at home as it is not as easy to buy them in Germany as it is, for instance, in the United States. Most German grocery stores, if at all, only have dried black beans, which you have to soak overnight and cook for hours.
However, in most Asian grocery stores, which you can find in every bigger German city, they offer canned black beans. As I had no black beans at hand, I used canned kidney beans instead, which I thought was just as good. Of course, I also added the typical Southwestern ingredients such as corn, red bell pepper, avocado, and tomatoes.
Besides, we made some vegan cashew sour cream using Angela Liddon’s recipe, which is pretty easy and super yummy! You only need four ingredients: cashews, lemon juice, water, and apple cider vinegar. If possible, you should soak the cashews for a couple hours or even overnight, but I also made the sour cream some time ago without soaking the cashews and it worked pretty well too. I’m sometimes just not really good at planning ahead, so I quite often end up forgetting to soak nuts or other ingredients. In an airtight container in the fridge, the sour cream lasts for a couple of days.
To top it all off, I also added some tofu cubes, which I sautéed in BBQ-sauce, and quinoa. For the dressing I used fresh lemon juice, sherry vinegar, cumin, olive oil, red pepper flakes, and some soy cream, which is, however, optional. Of course, I also added pepper and salt to taste. I especially like this vegan Southwestern salad with cashew sour cream in the warmer seasons and I think it makes a great dinner after a long and busy day!
Vegan Southwestern Salad with Cashew Sour Cream
For the salad:
- 1/2 block firm tofu (7 oz)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 red onion
- 1 1/2 cup corn
- 1 can kidney beans (about 15 oz) (or black beans)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tablespoon BBQ-sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar Alternatively you can also use white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon soy cream
- black pepper
For the Cashew Sour Cream:
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 -3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cook the quinoa according to the instructions on the package. Add some salt and vegetable broth.
- If possible soak the cashews in a bowl of water for a couple of hours or overnight. Drain the cashews and place them in a blender together with the remaining ingredients. Blend on high until smooth.
- Cut the tofu into cubes. Chop one half of the red onion into small cubes, the other one into larger stripes.
- In a medium pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onion cubes for 2 minutes. Then add the tofu cubes and stir in the BBQ-sauce. Sauté for another 4-5 minutes until the tofu cubes are lightly brown.
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl combine all ingredients. If you want the salad to be a bit spicy add more red pepper flakes.
- Slice the tomatoes into halves and either mix them with the remaining vegetables, tofu, and quinoa or serve them individually in a large bowl. Drizzle with cumin-sherry dressing and serve with cashew sour cream.